In many industries, supply chains are more complex and more global than ever before. Accordingly, as supply chain management comes to encompass a significant portion of their operating expenses, how businesses manage these extensive networks now plays a major role in their profitability.
What does an optimized supply chain look like and how can organizations take the first steps towards running a leaner and more accountable operation? Supply chain optimization is an ongoing process that requires taking a close look at the way you communicate with your vendors, shippers and other partners. Here’s what you need to know to get started.
What Makes a Supply Chain Optimized?
Every industry is different and every business has its own goals and priorities. That being said, certain characteristics are universal to any well-managed supply chain. An optimized supply chain should:
- Be able to quickly fulfill customer requests within a lean framework, making optimal use of available warehouse space and keeping operating expenses to a minimum.
- Be flexible enough to respond to market uncertainties, supply and demand issues, political instability and other events that impact your organization’s ability to deliver on its promises.
- Collect and analyze big data to identify operational issues within your current system and make accurate forecasts for the future.
- Be compliant with all current regulatory guidelines while positioning your organization to move seamlessly into new markets as the opportunity arises.
- Promote environmental, ethical and economic sustainability at all levels with an emphasis on transparency throughout.
If your organization isn’t doing all of the above, there is room for improvement. Whether by further refining your systems or by outsourcing your supply chain management to a third-party logistics company like Rockfarm Supply Chain Solutions, there are steps you can take today to correct these issues.
Why It’s Important to Focus on What You Do Best
Each business has its core competencies. As the work of managing a supply chain becomes more involved, specialized expertise is required to navigate shipping, storage, regulatory compliance and other logistics issues. Working with a 3PL company like Rockfarm Supply Chain Solutions is the ideal solution if your organization doesn’t have this expertise in-house. By outsourcing, you can optimize your supply chain while focusing on delivering the highest-quality product or service possible.
Make Better Use of Technology and Data
The other aspect of supply chain optimization is technology. There are many supply chain optimization tools out there. However, most of them involve a steep learning curve or sizeable initial expense. A supply chain management company has these resources in place already and knows how to apply them to your business. With Rockfarm Supply Chain Solutions, you’ll benefit from some of the most advanced data-driven tools on the market today without the human and capital cost of implementation.
Flexible Solutions for Diverse Customers
Rockfarm Supply Chain Solutions offers custom supply chain optimization solutions for every client. We’ll work with you to assess your internal capacity and recommend services to complement it. If you’d like to learn more, keep browsing our website or get in touch with a representative today to request a consultation.